Monday, August 30, 2010

Introduction

Ok, so Blogspot only gave me 500 characters to describe my blog.  Wasn't enough.  So post numero uno will be to expand (expound?) on the short description above.

Being a Christian today is a little easier than it used to be. Especially here in the United States of America.  No one is throwing us into lion's dens.  We aren't being shoved into arenas full of blood-thirsty patrons and being slaughtered by gladiators for their entertainment.  None of us has been crucified upside-down recently.

Yet it can still be tough. Dealing with contemporary problems and issues as a Christian can be challenging.  At times it can seem like we're dealing with stuff that Christ could never have envisioned 2,000 years ago.  So how do we apply and reconcile the teachings of Jesus to our thoroughly modern world?

A few years ago, "WWJD" was very hip and trendy in Christian circles. What Would Jesus Do?  Simple.  Sometimes.  When faced with a situation or issue that isn't clear-cut, I've taken to asking myself "What DID Jesus Do?"  That seems to be less speculative and more concrete.  I don't have to extrapolate what Jesus would do, I can simply turn to the scriptures and read what he did do.

Although the issues and situations of today may not appear to have a corollary in Jesus times, if you boil things down to their basic elements, it becomes easy to find analogous situations that faced Jesus during his walk here on earth.  Then it becomes pretty simple to examine how Jesus handled things.  At this point it usually becomes much clearer how I, as a Christian, should believe, feel and act.
 
Anyway, I hope you find my public musing and pondering as I deal with life as a Christian in the 21st century thought-provoking, enlightening and a touch entertaining.  I have to confess, and warn, that a current burr under my saddle is churches and other religious organizations that, while intending to be true to Jesus word and teachings, end up doing the opposite.  I'll try to keep rants to a minimum (there's that whole speck in your brother's eye vs. log in your own thing), but even Jesus had a few bouts of righteous anger, no?
 
And keep an eye out for those WD-JD (What Did Jesus Do) moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment